Post 15: 19/2/10 Day 6 Dalkhola to Siliguri. - 135 kms

| Posted in | Posted on

Day 6 was an early morning start at 7:00am. We were able to ride through the town of Dalkhola with barely a soul in sight; silently and lost in thought - the accident of last evening still looming fresh in our minds.

The distance covered today, some 135 km - the lengthiest of the week. All 19 riders started and finished safely. The scenery over the past days changed as rich wet paddy fields gave way to lush tea gardens. I had been particularly looking forward to the latter as my Father was the Manager of Panighatta and Pahargoomia Tea Estates, situated not too far from our bike route.

 The road for most of the way was dual carriage way. Yep, you read correct! We were able to ride at our fastest pace and achieved our targeted 90 km by lunch time; the ride thereafter was pretty rough and bumpy - on a single carriage way. My vote for the worst road of the week would be the Hill cart road from Bagdogra to Siliguri. Absolute disgrace!
                                                   
We arrived 17:30 at our (2 month old) luxurious  hotel Royal Sarovar, to be warmly greeted by Phillip Gibson, CEO at Dr. Graham's Homes and David Foning - the Bursar. The former, a very unexpected and pleasant surprise!
I'm tired but full of admiration for all the riders on their mammoth achievement. Two special mentions here - one to my son Jonathan - he does me proud, at only 22 - making him the youngest rider in the Group. He inspired me when I hit the 'wall' and cheered me on when there were challenges. And he has got on splendidly with the rest. The other mention goes out to Archie who at 82, is the oldest participant! I'm equally sure that Archie's family and close ones will shower him with due praise and admiration for what he has achieved. All helmets off to him! Hip, Hip, Hooray!

The two Tea Estates I mentioned earlier on - Panighatta and Pahargoomia - well, I just learned that Jackie's Father also managed the two estates and that she may have climbed the very same guava tree I did all those years ago! What a co-incidence! And if that wasn't co-incidence enough for a day - Clive also managed the Pahargoomia TE!!! Small world indeed!

It's near midnight and the long day is beginning to take its toll - sleep is not too far away now. The hotel bed (a far cry from our sleeping bags and tents) is so comfortable that I'm slightly nervous I may not rise for the wake up call at 4:45am. Yep - local political issues means we have another Bandh (strike) tomorrow - so we must start off at 6:00am.

Still it's our final stage!!!

Sight of the Day: The Mahananda river where as a child I used to picnic and fish; today it is a dry river bed.

Comments (0)