Post 11: 15/2/10 Day 2 - Krishnanagar to Beharampur - 86 kms

| Posted in | Posted on

I'm snug in my sleeping bag as I write this. It has been cooler and the much shorter cycling distance covered today has given us more time to relax...a few of us even managed to visit the Raman (circus) big top set up next door. It wasn't for very long though since the clowns failed to make us laugh and the juggler kept losing his bottle...and there was this "performer" who could drink a bucket of water and then spout it out!! We left early thinking missing a dinner of momos (Tibetan dumplings) and rosogollas (Bengali sweets made from cottage cheese) would be downright unforgivable!

Everyone arrived at Behrampore safe and sound.

The day began well for us as we left camp at 8:00am. To my utter disappointment, the duck pond was nothing but a dry bed, dashing the much anticipated sight of 14“freshers” giving the locals and us a sight for sore eyes and maybe even the ducks a waddle for their money - instead we posed for pictures at the spot marking the Tropic of Cancer.

The road and the scenery were a huge improvement from the potholes and smog of yesterday's ride - interrupted only by the first incident of the day ...yep! Jonathan had a slow puncture!!!

We rode past Plassey where the famous historical battle between the English and the Indians was fought.

The rest of the trip was almost uneventful until approx. 12 km from the camp site, when one of the cyclists had a nasty fright. No damage done but this only heightened an even stronger signal for safety awareness amongst the riders.

I was one of the early arrivals and as Germans tend to do, flung my helmet into a tent - booking it for the night...I also found myself another neighbour but alas, he too has started snoring and it looks like I'll have to settle for yet another sleepless night! Damn!!

A thought crosses my mind as I await sleep - only non-snorers must be allowed to participate should there be another Bike event.

Goodnight!


Sight of the Day: the rich flooded green terraced paddy fields.

Comments (1)

Good Luck on your bicycling trip to Kalimpong.

Been following your posts with interest.